Traditionally, we must have some leftover food from our Reunion dinner, so that there will always be excess food for the coming year (年年有余). So, what do you do with the leftover food from Chinese New Year?
This is one of my favourite stew - made with roast duck, Chinese cabbage, mushrooms, carrot, Chinese leeks and any assortment of vegetables suitable for stewing. The best thing about this dish is you do not especially go and buy some roast duck. Yes, you use the leftover roast duck bones and breast meat. Store the leftovers in the freezer and when you are ready to cook this dish, simply defrost it. The natural sweetness from the cabbage, carrot and whatever ingredients you put in, will come together nicely with the roast duck to give you a wonderful pot of vegetable stew. Make sure you cook more rice for second serving!
Here are the ingredients:
|Leftover roast duck, Chinese cabbage, dried pig tendon (猪脚筋), dried Chinese mushrooms, Chinese leeks, |
carrots, ready-boiled bamboo shoots, spring onion, chili (optional), ginger (not in picture).
This is the best time of the year to eat Chinese cabbage and Chinese leeks, so put lots of them in this stew! For the mushrooms, soak them in water till soft, squeeze out water and reserve liquid for stew. For pig tendon, you need to briefly boil them in water (add 2 slices of ginger) for a few minutes and rinse them in cold water. This will remove the "oily smell" from the pig tendon. Other ingredients that you can add to this stew: baby corns, button mushrooms, bean curd puffs, bean curd sticks etc (green leafy vegetables, broccoli are not suitable as they will turn yellow).
|Yummy porridge from cabbage roast duck stew|
And if you still have any leftover from this cabbage stew, you can "recycle" it to a comforting bowl of porridge (no kidding you)! If you have tried home-cooked porridge with leftover roast duck, you will know how tasty and flavourful is the porridge. This is essentially roast duck porridge with added vegetable stew.
Simply cook some porridge as per normal (or boil some cooked rice in water for 10 to 15 minutes), add the leftover cabbage stew and cook for another 10 minutes. Add salt/pepper to taste. Add a beaten egg, stir and serve. Super quick and easy!
1) Heat wok on high, add a little oil and add sliced ginger.
2) Add roast duck and stir fry for a minute.
3) Push roast duck to one side, add mushrooms and stir fry.
4) Add Chinese leeks (stir fry), followed with cabbage and carrot. Stir fry for a minute, add a dash of cooking wine.
5) Add water & liquid from soaking mushroom (3/4 way to cover the ingredients), add the bamboo shoots and pig tendon. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
6) Add oyster sauce (if necessary) and transfer to a casserole. Add a little more water (if necessary) and simmer for another 10 minutes on low heat.
7) Add sliced chili, spring onion, pepper and serve hot.
[Note: After step 6, I will usually let the stew rest for an hour. Reheat, then step 7. The one hour rest is for the flavour to be fully-absorbed by all ingredients in the dish]