Saturday, January 29, 2011

Stir-fry Egg Whites with Milk



After making all my Chinese New Year cookies, I had around 8 to 9 egg whites in my freezer.  While I had initially planned to bake some almond crisp (with leftover egg whites), I decided not to as I am a little too tired after my CNY baking spree over the past few days.  

Cooking will be an easy way to "finish off" these egg whites, such as making breakfast omelette.  Or how about some egg white milk pudding (鲜奶炖蛋)for dessert?  I recalled a few years back, I tried this stir-fry egg whites served with fried vermicelli in a Chinese restaurant.  Since, I have so many egg whites now, why not try to replicate this dish at home?  

The soft and moist egg whites goes very well with the crispy fried vermicelli and toasted almond flakes.  I made a mistake of stirring the egg whites too frequently at the beginning.  I suspect this is the reason for my egg whites being too scrambled-egg like.  Shall try it again next time with less stirring and maybe reduce the milk to 1/2 cup.  But, how often do I have 7 to 8 egg whites at one go without sacrificing the egg yolks?  Let me think about it.



Ingredients:

1 cup egg whites (about 8 egg whites)
3/4 cup milk
3/4 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp seasoning powder
Dash of pepper
1 small bundle vermicelli (冬粉), loosened up a little
1 tbsp wolfberries (枸杞子)
2 slices ginger
2 - 3 tbsp fresh crabmeat (or chopped fresh scallops)
Toasted almond flakes
Green leafy vegetables (I used Shanghai Green)

Method:

1) Gently beat egg whites and mix with milk, corn flour, seasoning powder and pepper.  Set aside.
2) Boil some water in wok (or pot), add a little salt and oil.  Blanch the leafy vegetables.  Set aside
3) Heat 1 cup of oil in wok on high heat.  When oil is hot, carefully lower the vermicelli into the hot oil and remove when it puffs up (It will puff up within 2 seconds).  Set aside on kitchen paper.
4) Pour oil from wok to container, leaving about half tablespoon oil in wok over medium-high heat.  Put ginger slices, followed by crabmeat.  Stir-fry for about half a minute.  Remove and set aside.
5) Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok on low heat.  Add the egg mixture from (1).  Stir the mixture a little to prevent the egg whites from sticking on the wok.  Half-way through, add the wolfberries (reserved a few for garnish) and crabmeat from (4).  Continue to stir till egg whites is cooked but still moist.
6) Place fried vermicelli on plate,  lined with blanched vegetable.
7) Pour the cooked egg whites on the fried vermicelli.
8) Garnish with remaining wolfberries and toasted almond flakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...