This is my second time experimenting with purple sweet potato. The first time, I used it to bake some purple flower buns. I had a few ideas in my mind - maybe some steamed purple buns with vegetable fillings (Chinese-style steamed buns), a purple chiffon cake with bits of purple sweet potato, or perhaps some lovely purple Onde Onde for afternoon tea? I shall try out these recipes, if I have enough sweet potato. But first, I need to make something for breakfast:
(Makes about 8 triangular scones)
225g plain flour (I used 150g plain flour + 75g oat bran)
1 tsp baking powder
150g purple sweet potato (steamed and mashed)
3 tbsp sugar
80 - 100ml milk
1) Mix flour, oat bran and baking powder. Rub butter into flour.
2) Mix mashed potato, sugar, milk and add to flour mixture to form a dough.
3) Sprinkle a little flour on a board or counter-top and form the dough into a rectangular shape (or circle shape) with approximately 2 cm thickness.
4) Use a knife to cut triangles from the dough and place them on greased baking paper.
5) Brush the top with some milk and bake in preheat oven at 200C for 20 - 25 minutes.
6) Serve with honey cream cheese or your favourite jam.
(Honey cream cheese: Mix together: Few drops of lemon + 2 tbsp plain cream cheese + 1 tsp honey)