Friday, January 14, 2011

Pandan Roll






I have always wanted to make swiss rolls, especially after my recent Japan trip.  Their sponge cake and rolls with light creamy fillings really make me drool!  How I wish I could replicate some of those delightful sweet treats.  One common problem with making swiss rolls is rolling up a firm swiss roll and yet without any cracks on the surface or fillings escaping from the side.  While browsing through recipes from fellow bloggers, I chanced upon this Orange Roll recipe from Kitchen Corner, and adapted it for my Pandan Roll.   




Don't you think the above looks like Matcha and Azuki roll (Green Tea with red bean fillings)?  I have some mashed purple sweet potato in the fridge (leftovers from making my Purple Ondeh Ondeh), so combining 2 parts of mashed sweet potato to 1 part of kaya (any bottled kaya), I have this special "red bean fillings".




I adapted my recipe from Kitchen Corner's blog, whose original recipe from "孟老师 - 分蛋式海绵蛋糕 " (i.e. sponge cake that uses the separated eggs method)


Ingredients:


Tip: You need to measure the size of your baking tray to arrive at the correct amount of ingredients needed.  This is to ensure that you achieve the right size for your cake roll, i.e. not too thick or thin.


孟老师的美味蛋糕卷 (36cm x 26cm = 936)
My baking tray (30cm x 20cm = 600) x 2 baking trays = 1200
1200 ÷ 936 = 1.28 (approximately 1.3)

Therefore, I multiplied all ingredients from the original recipe by 1.3 to match my baking trays.  
I have shown both the original recipe proportion and my adapted recipe, for the convenience of calculating the ingredients to match any sizes of baking trays.

Original recipe proportion (My adapted recipe):

1 Orange strip
20g Unsalted melted butter (26g)* 
20g Orange juice (26g)*
100g egg yolks (130g) - 130g = approximately 7 egg yolks
25g caster sugar (33g
160g egg whites (208g) - 200g = approximately 6 egg whites
75g caster sugar (98g)
55g plain flour (72g) -  I used top flour (sifted)

* I replaced with 52g of coconut milk + 1 tsp of pandan paste (mix and set aside)

1) Prepare two baking trays lined with baking paper (no need to grease).  Remove the orange strips from its skin and place on the tray. Melt the butter than set a side to cool then add in the orange juice
2) Whisk the egg yolks with sugar in a double boiler until thicken and pale in color.  In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with caster sugar until peak foam.
3) Fold the egg yolks into the egg whites, gently fold in the sifted flour. 
4) Pour 1/4 mixture (3) into a clean bowl, add the coconut milk mixture melted butter and orange juice.   Pour back into the mixture of (3) and mix gently until everything well combine. 
5) Pour into prepared baking trays and spread evenly.  Bake at 190C for 10 - 12 minutes.  Be careful  not to over bake it (or there will be cracks during rolling). 
6) Remove the sponge cake from the baking tray immediate when it is out from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
7) Get ready a sheet of baking paper.  Flip the sponge onto the baking paper and peel away the backing paper from the sponge.  Spread your favorite fillings on the surface and roll it up. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.


Notes:
1) Here is a short video clip on how to roll up your swiss roll with fillings.  This method requires rolling up the cake immediately when it's out from the oven (while it's still soft).  I think this applies to cake with a drier texture.  The above pandan roll recipe yields soft and moist texture, so there's no need to roll immediately when out of oven.

2) Personally, I find the pandan roll a little too moist.  If you examine the proportion of flour to eggs, it seems that the amount of flour used is very little, given that I would usually used 4 eggs to about 70 - 80g of flour for chiffon cake.  But again, chiffon cake has a drier texture, i.e. if I increase the flour proportion as that of a chiffon cake, cracks may form on the cake while rolling up.  Maybe, I will just increase the flour to about 90g the next time when I make Swiss rolls.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...