Inspired by the Thai-style salad, I made this salad with a few simple ingredients.
|Some of the ingredients used: Yellow firm beancurd, celery, carrot, Japanese cucumber, onion & chilli|
The use of vermicelli in this salad dish is a winner. Beside adding a different texture to this dish, it soaks and holds well the sweet & sour dressings. So with each mouthful, there is the crunchy carrot, celery & cucumber , soft beancurd, the silky vermicelli with its appetising dressings, the occasional spicy bits of onion/chilli and the lovely aroma from the roasted sesame seeds.
1 yellow firm beancurd (thinly sliced)
1/2 carrot (shredded)
1 stalk of celery (shredded)
1/2 Japanese cucumber (remove seeds and thinly sliced)
1 bundle of vermicelli (粉丝) - soak in water for 3 to 5 minutes to soften
1 tbsp seasoned Japanese seaweed (optional - I add this for colour contrast)
1/2 red chilli (thinly sliced)
1/2 onion (thinly sliced)
2 tbsp chopped spring onion
1 tbsp finely chopped basil leaves
1 tbsp fried shallots
1 tbsp crushed peanuts (I omit this since I din have any in my kitchen)
2 tsp sesame seeds (lightly roast in pan)
Dressings - mix together:
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce (or 2 tbsp soy sauce)
2 tbsp lemon juice (or big lime juice)
1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 heap tsp palm sugar (gula melaka) - dissolved in 3 to 4 tbsp warm water
1 tsp sweet chilli sauce (or more if you like it spicy)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp finely chopped lemongrass
1) Heat a pot of water.
2) Blanch the carrot & celery in hot water for about 30 seconds. Set aside
3) Blanch the vermicelli in hot water for about 30 seconds or till soft. Set aside
4) Blanch the yellow beancurd in hot water for about one minute. Set aside.
5) Mix the salad dressings in a deep bowl.
6) Add vermicelli, beancurd and stir well.
7) Add remaining ingredients, mix well and chill in fridge for an hour (reserved a little fried shallots, chopped spring onion, crushed peanuts and sesame seeds for garnish).
8) Pour into serving dish, garnish and serve.