This basic sweet bun recipe yields about 12 buns. The buns are soft and can be used with sweet or savory fillings. For a healthier version, replace 50g bread flour with wholemeal flour, oats bran, wheat germ etc
300g bread flour
50g plain flour
70g castor sugar
8g instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg (beaten) + extra for brushing
60g butter, cut into small pieces
1) Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl, except for water, milk, egg and butter.
2) Pour in water, milk, beaten egg and knead for 10 minutes by machine (Longer kneading time by hand).
3) Add butter and knead for another 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth.
4) Cover and rest the dough for 45 minutes or till double in size.
5) Divide and round dough into desired portions. Rest for 10 mins.
6) Wrap fillings, cover and rest for another 45 minutes.
7) Brush with beaten egg and bake in preheated oven at 190C for around 12 minutes.